[Wolves] PC suppliers

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 14:41:50 GMT 2006

Wayne Morris wrote:

> Wheres the best place to go for a system localish to Wolverhampton,
> need a fairly basic tower (don't need monitor),
> want to use it for video capture for a week or so (so ideally with a
> video card in it although I have got a tv card here) and then
> turn it into a server.
> Can't decide whether to just go to somewhere like pc world for
> simplicity, or shop around for bits and build.

"Next time I'm bloody buying one ready made!!"
Repeat 100 times.

Jesus, why are things so difficult.

I went to PC world to see what they could do one for and it was £290 for
a basic  tower, celeron, 40gb, 256 mb, no monitor.
So i went to UHS and got motherboard, processor, 160gb hd drive, case,
fan , 512 memory for around £220 all in.
"Is  graphics on board" "Yes"
Took it  home,  built it, looked for  VGA socket - none - no graphics on
board.
Tried 5 pci vga cards, none worked.
Went and bought a AGP card this morning - £30
Spent most of day trying to install 'something'. Machine keeps powering
of after X minutes.
Oddly enough, worse with windows - 5 mins at most ,  Ubuntu installed,
rebooted, powered of during install extra packages and then will only boot
to command line.
Tried another cd rom, tried another hard drive. No good.
Finally, am on another hard drive and unplugged the USB mouse and it
hasn't switched off  - yet! So not sure whether mouse or HD at fault,
or if fault gone completely.
Halfway thru windows install now, we'll see.

If I'd bought a Pc world special, it would have been running 24 hours ago!.

At least I've got a better processor, hd and memory for less money, but
paid for it in blood sweat and tears!