[Wolves] PC suppliers

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 15:51:15 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:24:25PM +0000, Daniel Jones wrote:
> I don't quite get why the 'but you have to build it yourself' line is
> such a big deal.  It takes me about 45 minutes to put a new system
> together; I know any screwups which are made are going to be made by
> me as well.

For my own home use, yeah, great.  I'm willing to spend a little
more time researching things, buying the components, putting it
together and then testing every component to check it works as it
should do.  On a good day, sure, maybe that takes 45 minutes.

But on a bad day you find that maybe incorrect parts turned up.
Maybe one component doesn't work.  Maybe you put it all together but
some feature does not work and now you need to investigate why.
Worst of all, perhaps after installation you suffer bizarre
stability problems that cannot easily be tracked down to one
component, so you have to take it all apart and rigorously test
every combination.

That takes a lot longer than 45 minutes.

That sort of thing happens very very rarely when you buy a pre-built
system and when it does, you just deal with whoever you bought it
from.  If it doesn't work to your satisfaction then the whole lot
goes back and they are supposed to deliver you something that does.

For systems more important than home machines, especially when
buying in quantity, it's just not an effective use of my time to
deal with all of that.  I would rather settle on a standard config
from a reputable retailer.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB