[Wolves] for the brave mythtv owners.

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Wed May 3 00:51:30 BST 2006

David Morley wrote:
> It's about 500 quid for a hd ready if you get one without a brand name
> but it's about 1500 quid for one with.

Be careful with the terminology surrounding HD televisions:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/20/eicta_hdtv_logo/

 From what I could tell at one retailer, 'HD Ready' meant has
Component/HDMI inputs. It said nothing about the resolution/framerate of
the display. HD should ideally mean 1080p (1080 lines, with progressive
scan frames). At the moment it will likely mean 720p or 720i (interlaced
frames), which is an incremental improvement over standard definition
(what we already had).

For my 2c, HDTV seems only just out of the early adopter phase - prices
are still feel high to me. I'd like to wait 6-12 months and see what the
market does. Except, maybe...

Regards

Alex