[Wolves] iFolders

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed May 3 09:22:22 BST 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 23:35, Constantin Orasan wrote:

> Did you manage to make it work properly?

Locally, on an internal network, *my* installation is working beautifully the
bitch for me was setting up the Server take a look at my website I have done
a very small review http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

> Do you think it is worth installing it?

Depends, for me, I do have some uses for it I have a rather large collection
of images which is replicated on another machine. I used to copy the one
directory, paste it to the Server then from the other workstation overwrite
its directory from the pasted Server one. All very time consuming with
iFolders the one directory updates the other now.

As it stands today the only value is someone or some business that has
individuals who need constant sync of documents and folders however I see
potential for this project in a wider scope, synced calendars, email, diary
xyz. You need to think outside the box on this one, before everyone jumps up
and down and says "But you can do that already" you don't need everyone to
know everything so you can control who has what plus there are other uses it
can be put to.

> Linux Format has an article about installing iFolder and I've been thinking
> about trying it for very long. I had a look at how it can be installed on
> Gentoo and it doesn't seem too difficult.

I used the yum method, the Ubuntu method is even easier (Bloody Ubuntu) not
looked at the Gentoo info but if it uses apt then you're laughing.

> However, it doesn't seem possible to use it between my home computer and
> work computer, unless I use some kind of tunnelling.

Now that's as far as I've got, the clients only work on Gnome and of course
Windows (There are reports, unconfirmed, of it working with KDE) my SuSE box
at home is KDE the client stuff loaded OK and I have a nice iFolder3 folder
on my desktop but it fails to work :(

There are rpms for Fedora (My Laptop) but I'm stuck at the moment as two
requirements are missing gnome-sharp2 and gconf-sharp2 I had a look at
rpmsearch but there is nothing for Fedora 5. I could load a client on my XP
at home but don't see the point as I have Windows clients at work.

Once I get a client working on either SuSE or Fedora I'll be able to test the
remote connectivity and comment further but as I say that's as much as I know
for the minute and I don't go in for pretending I know more than I do.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
Jabber:highwayman.turpin at gmail.com