[Wolves] OT: police powers?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:36:07 BST 2006

On 04/05/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 09:18, Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > What powers do the police have concerning stopping schoolchildren (in
> > uniform so obviously schoolchildren) in the street?  Two officers, one
> > male one female with no other adults and they were in an unmarked
> > Freelander.  My family and I just witnessed these two stop loads of
> > kids and checked through their school bags.  They then wrote down
> > notes.  No teachers about.  It seemed to be that they were stopping
> > each and every kid that walked down the road.
>
> Yes, under Stop & Search
>
> There has always been stop and search it did get a bit out of hand when it
> evolved into SuS but that was refind to almost what was originally in place.
>
> Actually I thought you was about to say with one or two people dressed
> normally, they are cracking down on truancy (which is not the case here I
> take it) I am fully behind it.
>
> My wife and I was in the Bull Ring last month (mid week) and they was stopping
> family's and issuing penalty's, nearly every parent we saw going through this
> had the same reaction "Whats the problem?" tossers, your kids are supposed to
> be in school that's the problem not looking around Lego land in Birmingham.
>
> --

Cheers Peter.  I'm still a bit concerned though.  After all, it's too
easy to get hold a coppers 'uniform' or what looks very much like one.
 I'd accept the truancy brigade if it was around 10 or 11 in the
morning.  That's when they are wondering about not in school.

I suspect a drugs search but I thought this had to be done with a
parent in attendance for under 16s?

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay