[Wolves] Re: OT: police powers?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu May 4 16:23:26 BST 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 16:04, Kelly, Martin wrote:

> Aren't the police empowered to "Stop and search", only on  grounds of
> reasonable suspicion, and need to declare what they are looking for?

1. Reasonable cause is laughable did you know that two people on a street
corner constitutes a group and as such can be asked to move on? 'Actions
likely to cause a breach of the peace' is another good-un absolutely any
thing is covered by that even smiling.

Kevan didn't say (And I doubt he would have heard) if they explained why they
wanted to search and I doubt they would have been stupid enough not to
declare why.

> This little detail stops "Stop and search" turning into harrasment (which
> was the main problem with SuS).

Um I think you'll find your wrong there, SuS was modified purely because of
the high proportion of coloured people that was harassed by that
authorisation.

> Or have more of our rights been given away without my noticing?

You never had them in the first place its only when you infringe some law that
your eyes get opened to the extent of police powers.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
Jabber:highwayman.turpin at gmail.com