[Wolves] Novells Gnome?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 12:26:52 BST 2006

On 14/05/06, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/05/06, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Mmmm, I don't personally know Shane but I would think that with his
> > position (Free Software Foundation) he has to be careful about even
> > voicing his 'personal' opinion on a public mailing list.  Maybe it
> > would be better asking Shane face to face at a LUG meeting.  Stuff
> > stated on a mailing list can come back to haunt you years later.
>
> Well - isn't that a rule for online debates in general regardless of
> who you are? Any of us could contribute to a discussion now with an
> impulsive remark and it could come to haunt us in 20 years when we are
> being considered for the board at ACME Corp.

Very true.  I've no doubt made some comments in the 10 years I have
been using the web/net that I would like to withdraw now.

> You either face up to that and accept that we are all learning and
> making mistakes in a global archived environment or assume a number of
> aliases and try to remain anonymous.

I'm afraid I have made some comments via an alias.  Purely because of
other nasty, vindictive fellow posters though.  Not on this list I
might add and not for at least 6 or 7 years now.  Nowadays I just
click the delete button when I feel the rage rising.

> I didn't see anything that Shane contributed to this thread as being
> provocative or controversial in any way though. I am sure members of
> the FSFE are able to voice their own opinions as well.

True on both counts....but I'm getting more and more paranoid in my
old age.  Go back that ten years that I mentioned earlier and nobody
would have believed it possible that the record/music companies would
be prosecuting individuals in this country for swapping a few low
quality mp3 (or the equivalent at the time) files.  You could freely
admit to having thousands on a hard drive.  Even if I had today I
wouldn't admit to it on a mailing list.  The same goes for what could
be seen as radical remarks of a political nature.  We know that
internal security services have software that monitors e-mails and
mailing lists for key word triggers - I'd have been laughed out of
town for even suggesting that 10 yrs ago - so how long before an
individual cannot even mention the word 'bomb' without having a visit
from some shadowy group at 4 in the morning?  That may sound
sensationalist but the way successive governments are curtailing more
and more of our freedoms...

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay