[Wolves] Novells Gnome?

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Sun May 14 13:25:17 BST 2006

Kevanf1 wrote:
> Mmmm, I don't personally know Shane but I would think that with his
> position (Free Software Foundation) he has to be careful about even
> voicing his 'personal' opinion on a public mailing list.  Maybe it
> would be better asking Shane face to face at a LUG meeting.  Stuff
> stated on a mailing list can come back to haunt you years later.

For the record, my position with the Free Software Foundation
(associate) and the Free Software Foundation Europe (fellow) is not one
of either influence or power.  I volunteer time to these organisations,
but am not a formulator of either their official policy or a member of
the core decision making teams.

I am careful about my postings because I don't wish to jump to
conclusions.  I know people who work on GNOME, and I know people who
work on KDE.  I like aspects of both projects, though my overall
usability preference lies with GNOME.  That's why I'm a member of the
GNOME usability list.

I believe my opinion regarding Novell alterations to GNOME was made
quite clear: more research is needed because we're entering complex
usability territory.  I'm not sure what's 'better' because I want to
know what real-world testing is telling us.  My detailed reply to this
list dated 13/05/2006 23:53 shows that I have a personal preference for
examining how Semiotics could inform design.  We have several possible
desktop paradigms, and very little in the way of scientific evaluation.

If you want to put it another way, my opinion is that we have too many
opinions and not enough research.

There is absolutely no need for heated abuse.  I believe calling people
'brain dead' (David's post as of 12:35 today) has little place in an
adult discussion.  It is more akin to slashdot trolling.

Shane

- --
Shane Martin Coughlan
e: shane at shaneland.co.uk