[Wolves] Novells Gnome

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 20:16:28 BST 2006

On 14/05/06, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/05/06, Knowlesands at aol.com <Knowlesands at aol.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi all,
> >          As a not very long newbie user of Suse 9.1 and WLUG I am thinking
> > of upgrading to 10.1.To that end I would be interested in the opinions of
> > any members using it on its pros and cons.I can adapt to the version of
> > Gnome or KDE in use.
>
> I would say:
>
> Pros: It's all very new technology and no doubt very exciting
>
> Cons: It's all very new technology and no doubt very broken (in places)
>
> >         I would also be very interested in advice or opinions of members to
> > a not very experienced Linux user as to what other distro they might think
> > is easier to use,easier to install,easier to add or remove applications etc.
>
> I've been using OpenSUSE 10.0 since the project launched last year and
> it's been fairly good for me. I moved to it from Debian and whilst I
> am happy with SUSE I think I've lost a lot in choice of packages and
> availability of packages.
>
> Personally I'm going to keep an eye on the "most annoying bugs"[0]
> page on the OpenSUSE site and see what is logged against 10.1. I'm
> looking forward to using it but I'm not going to rush in too soon.
>
> [0] http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs#SUSE_Linux_10.1_.28Final.29
>
> --

As a SuSE user since 9.1 I have to agree.  Don't rush in just yet.
Give it about 2 weeks at least and possibly 4 if you can sit on your
hands.  During that time their will be a big shake down of bugs that
haven't surfaced before.

As to other nice and easy distros....well, how long is a piece of
string?  My personal opinion is that it would be easier (quicker) to
tell you of harder distros than it would to tell you of all the easy
ones.  I would say that the deciding factor has to be your own
hardware.  One distro will run sweetly and absolutely perfectly while
another may have a few glitches.

If you really want a list....

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu (same distro different desktops)
Mandriva - the latest (formerly Mandrake)
Zenwalk Linux
Vector Linux
Damn Small Linux (see Peter Cannon's website)

those are ones I've recently tried and liked.  Check out the
distrowatch website for others and some comparisons
http://distrowatch.com/

I've deliberately not put Fedora because it's the worst distro ever to
be made available...... *JOKE*  :-))))  I've just not got around to
trying it, that's all.  I've heard some very good stuff about it.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire