[Wolves] Portable Ogg Players

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:26:46 BST 2006

On 15/05/06, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Ah, no good as su?
>
> Well it should be. I guess having to run as root is a
> priviledge issue and su allows you Substitute User and
> run with root priviledges. su - (with the dash) adds
> root's environment variables too (ie /bin and /sbin
> get added to your path amongst other things). sudo
> should be able to sidestep the problem also.
>
> This was an Ubuntu specific bug I think rather than a
> Gnomad one if I recall correctly, I could be wrong.
>
> > > I have no idea if all Creative MP3 players use
> > this
> > > same non-standard software interface (implemented
> > in
> > > Gnomad2 for Linux and by Creative's shit Windows
> > app),
> > > but you should be able to find whether your son's
> > > player is supported by Gnomad on the website.
> >
> > I have a feeling that, like many other Creative
> > devices, they seem to
> > pick the interface out of the random bag...
>
> Apple and Sony are good at this too, b'stards.
>
> > Thanks for that anyway, Ad.  It looks like I may
> > have to go to the
> > dark side and sort out Gnome ;-)))))))
>
> Ahh well, you shouldn't have to install all of Gnome,
> just locate the Gnomad 2 package for your distro from
> your installation media or repositry if choice and it
> should pull in the dependencies for you, which
> admittedly might be most of the gnome libraries, but
> not all ;) You will be able to run it from within KDE
> is thats your desktop.
>
> If you're running SuSE, I always found it a bit
> shallow in the packages department, ditto Fedora, so
> you might struggle for SuSE packages being a KDE
> environment (until soon!), though I'm sure there would
> be a Fedora one in an unofficial repo if not an
> official one, as it is a Gnome environment by default.
> Package depth is one area where Debian derivatives
> have a definite edge.
>
> Ad

Righto :-) Once the new SuSE has settled down I'll see if I can get it
ready built (RPM) for it.  If not I can always install Deb.  I find
myself getting more and more drawn towards Debian nowadays.  It's very
impressive :-)

Many, many thanks for that Ad.  Together with that information and the
fact that SANE looks like it might just support my scanner now (at
last) I may be able to swap this PC over to Linux :-))))))))))

I think Chris' has a Creative Nomad which is supported as is the Zen
which my youngest daughter has.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay