[Wolves] Portable Ogg Players

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 15 19:57:10 BST 2006

Peter Oliver wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Alan Pope wrote:
>
>> I have an iRiver iHP-140 which has a 40GiB drive, supports OGG, is
>> seen as a mass storage device, has an FM radio, can record direct to
>> MP3 and has a pretty good battery life.
>

> I have a Cowon iAudio X5 which ticks all those boxes and can also play
> video.  I didn't buy it expecting to make much use of that feature,
> but I've found it good to have on long train journeys.
>
> I can bring the X5 along to the next meeting for you to have a play,
> if you like.  Cowon also make the M3, which is basically the same unit
> without the screen.

and my criticisms of the M3 have been addressed by the introduction of
the M5. Cowan try to keep this model a secret. The cheapest place I've
seen it is Misco but be careful. Some of the stuff that was included
with the M3 now costs extra. The difference in quality between MP3s on
an Apple Nano against the Oggs on the Cowan, both played through a hi-fi
was similar to the difference between cassette tape and CD.