[Wolves] Police, Stop&Search, discussion the other day

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 11:42:26 BST 2006

On 18/05/06, Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:39:44PM +0100, Andy Wootton wrote:
> > I forgot to report that in the week of Kevan's original post I went
> > through Cheslyn Hay at about 9:30 - 10:00 pm and a police van had
> > stopped at the bus stop. 2 or 3 police officers appeared to be
> > questioning a group of lads. Obviously they could have committed a crime
> > but it may have been another incidence of being young and outside being
> > treated as  suspicious behaviour. Maybe my suspicions are unfounded and
> > it's active community policing at it's best but how much freedom would
> > we be willing to give up in order to feel safe?
>
> I wouldn't have any problem with a police van or some officers on
> foot going down the roads near here at 10pm and talking to any group
> of suspicious-looking people to see what they were up to.  That
> doesn't have to be harassment; it's usually very obvious when people
> are up to no good.

I have to admit that I don't have a problem with the police 'talking'
to youngsters.  But, there is a difference between talking and
accusing or acting in an accusatory manner.  The latter wins no
friends and simply serves to make enemies of law abinding kids.  I'm
not an idiot - Ok, shut up Peter - I know that there are brain dead
morons out on our streets at night time.  The ones who do smash
windows (we've had a spate of it around here) or stand urinating in
people's front gardens, while the owner stands there in frustration!
But... the police know damn well who they are.  I know exactly who
does this and the police have been told many times.  They would rather
stop my son who just happens to be walking back home after a jamming
session at his mates.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay