[Wolves] I been asked a wierd question.

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed May 24 14:59:58 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 14:22 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:

> > and they had better hope the employee goes away
> > quietly after being sacked and doesn't kick up a fuss.
>
> See now that's the bit that really angers me. "Kick up a fuss" you've
> been
> found out for gods sake you've got no right to kick up any sort of
> fuss. Its
> simple logic if you cant do the time don't do the crime.
>
> Where do people get off with the attitude that they can screw whoever
> they
> like but if anything is done to them they want blood.

Life isn't that black and white, Peter. My IT policy here forbids
employees joining forums, mass-mailing lists or joining Internet Chat
rooms. All for good reason.

I however am subscribed to god knows how many (I have to wait until the
first of each month when it is mailing list day to tell you) mailing
lists... I post to usenet and I use IRC. This is 90% job related and I
couldn't function without access to these resources.

However - if my boss decided he fancied sacking me today in the black
and white terms you describe I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I signed
an agreement forbidding employees access to these internet resources but
I use them every day.

However - if sacked for this reason alone I think I would have a pretty
good case against that decision.

> "You've no right to stop me owning anthrax and if you hadn't of tested
> my pee
> that you pinched from the toilet you'd never of found out I infected
> that
> housing estate"

*blink*

~sm