[Wolves] subversion

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sun May 28 10:47:23 BST 2006

On 27/05/06, Andrew Lewis <andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk> wrote:
> Since I am disinclined to rattify the unsolicited claims of
> perspecatious verbosity(sic) against my name, I will keep it to the point:
>
> Should I be using subversion for the scanner?
>
> if so:
> How do I use subversion on a webpage?
> Why is subversion good, and what should I know about it?

Subversion is a good thing. I learnt about it reading the Bruce Perens
book available in here (under an open source licence)

http://www.phptr.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1484&redir=1&rl=1

It's saved me on a lot of occassions - once when I changed a function
in a fairly small project that I thought was only being used once.
About 10 revisions down the road I found that something somewhere else
was broken (because of this change)

Being able to check out all of the versions and see exactly when it
stopped working, and then being able to see exactly what changes I'd
made saved me a good couple of hours debugging.

It basically rocks. I use ViewCVS to access it over HTTP
--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org