[Wolves] Couple of email (Exim) questions

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 12:21:04 GMT 2006

--- Wayne Morris <wayne at machx.co.uk> wrote:

> Wayne Morris wrote:
> > I'm settng up a back up email server and having
> difficulty with
> > hostname type problems
> >

> Fixed the hosts bit, now I've having a related
> problem.
>
> I've now got two mail servers on a home network ,
> call them A and B.
>
> Email in to A and all works well.
> If I direct email in to B from the router/outside
> world and then
> supposed to be forwarded to A causes a loop because
> B looks up the ip
> address for A as the
> outside world and sends it to itself.
> However, if you ping the domain name from B you
> correctly get the ip
> address for A

Hi Wayne

I was having a similar problem myself yesterday, but I
only have one machine behind the router to port
forward to.

When the backup MX tried to forward to the mail, found
the primary MX down and so tried the backup MX which
was itself so it looped. The solution in my case was
to add:

extra_local_interfaces = <router_wan_ip>

to the exim config. However, I think you might be
stuck here, cos that won't work in your case as you
have 2 machines with the same WAN IP. I don't think
theres a way of telling the world that smtp for your
backup mx is on some other port, so you could port
forward that to your backup mx, plus the machine would
probably still be surprised when it received the mail
again when it tried to forward it on and found the
primary MX down.

Now, I may be wrong here, so perhaps ask on exim-users
if you want a better answer.

My suggestion would be to use the backup MX I set up
yesterday. It runs at my house over 3.5Mb ADSL so
thats the level of service you can expect, not
discounting any connection problems with my ISP.

Mail me off list if you would like to sort out the
details.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk