[Wolves] RE: University of Wolverhampton

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Mon Nov 6 11:05:35 GMT 2006

Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 06/11/06, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We are more of a social group than a formal one so although the idea
>> of using your premises is an interesting one, I doubt the current
>> members would be that interested. (correct me if I'm wrong guys.)
>>

> This point has been 'debated'.  I am not into the social side as
> heavily as some guys.  But, think about this.  The meetings have been
> getting to the point where fewer and fewer members are turning up.
> Why?  Could it be that I am not the only one who is simply not into
> the heavy social side of things.  I do not like sitting drinking in a
> pub or room with people I may see every month or so.  Now, you can
> argue that I don't come to meetings.  Well I have attended one.
> Sorry, I was not impressed, I felt uncomfortable simple as that.  How
> many other members feel this way but they are not saying anything for
> fear of getting shouted down?  Now, I will say that I am not averse
> tothe social side of membership in its entirety.  I have met and made
> some very good aquaintances through this LUG.  But, I'm not interested
> in a LUG that is all social and very little else.  I can hear the
> howls of protest rising already.  This is my personal view of how the
> LUG is at this moment.  Nobody can take that view away no matter how
> much anybody protests.  Again, do others feel this way but they are
> not willing to get shouted down, as does happen.

Ahh ok, your point is taken, but I have in the past offered to do one
night a month for newer people and those who feel less confident with
the larger crowd, doing a kind of getting started with Linux type
meeting and potential attendees weren't forthcoming, in fact the busy
thread went silent. Maybe it was just my misinterpretation of what
people wanted, or people thought it was a crap idea.

It seems to me that some people just plain don't want to go to a
meeting, or don't feel comfortable in social settings, there's nothing
we can do about that. I know a few people who are into Linux, but just
don't want to become involved. You can roll out the red carpet all you
want, but some people just don't want to do it.

>> > 2. Possible usage of University facilities to hold
>> > meetings/talks/discussions?
>>
>> Again my hope is maybe not as formal as rooms you may have to offer,
>> that may limit interaction between members.
>
> But, what is wrong with an hours talk then going on to a pub or
> restaurant for thse who wish to?  That way the LUG caters for more
> members.  Conversly, those who do not want to attend a talk don't have
> to, they can meet later and have their 'social'.  Everybody is happy
> that way.

Yes, I think this might be a good idea and goes some way to pleasing
everyone (for a change). If there is a talk going on, I do think less
socially comfortable people, or people who want to tell the wife that
they're going to something tangible (rather than sitting around with a
load of (mostly) blokes in a pub), will come. That way you can turn up
to the hour or 2 you want and don't have to engage in the bit you're not
comfortable with and can be home before the kids go to bed. I can see
the attraction in this for you and others Kevan and so I guess if it
would make the LUG more attractive to a wider audience then we should
think about it.

<Crystal ball>No moaning about having to move when you've just got
comfortable, anyone.</Crystal ball>

> One of the things that we
>> love is the fact that during a meeting that is a non-talk night there
>> can be dozens of conversations going on over a pint and/or a meal.
>
> No, one of the things that you and some of the others love.  Not me
> and, again, I suspect I'm not the only one.
>
>> This is why we are a popular lug you can normally find something of
>> interest to get your attention.
>
> ?  a popular LUG yes, perhaps.  But the meetings are attended by fewer
> and fewer members.  Are you merely looking at membership numbers?
> That is not an indication of popularity.  It may just be that a lot of
> members can't be bothered to unsubscribe (or don't know).

I'm not sure if we are dwindling in numbers at the meetings at all, but
I have been away for a while. Jono is a busier man, Kat and Dave are
about to move away, I have started a CCNA and am pretty busy.

> Hopefully you'll take this input in the spirit it is offered.  I don't
> wish to cause any more unpleasant, shall we say, debate?  We have had
> enough of that in the recent past.  I am simply stating how I feel,
> I'm standing up and hoping to be counted.

Of course :) Shame the SCIT isn't next door to the Moon any more, it
would have been a simple move downstairs. Good plan, that man :)

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org