[Wolves] Proper use of ftp/web

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 13:05:46 GMT 2006

--- Wayne Morris <wayne at machx.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to set up a directory visible within my
> webserver space to which
> a security camera can upload pictures.
> Is the best way to do to create said directory, and
> then a ftp user
> whose home directory is said directory?
> Or to use some sort of ln to point to the users
> directory elsewhere?

To me, either option is valid, but I'd go for the
first.

You could either make the home directory under the
document root by editing /etc/passwd or specifying the
home dir when you create the user; or have it under
/home/$user/ and either symlink it as you say or use
the Apache alias directive:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#alias

I don't think the method you choose makes too much
difference so long as the files are readable by
Apache.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk