[Wolves] Proper use of ftp/web

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Nov 7 13:13:32 GMT 2006

> > I want to set up a directory visible within my
> > webserver space to which
> > a security camera can upload pictures.
> > Is the best way to do to create said directory, and
> > then a ftp user
> > whose home directory is said directory?
> > Or to use some sort of ln to point to the users
> > directory elsewhere?
>
> To me, either option is valid, but I'd go for the
> first.

I'd recommend Alias in Apache, as Adam suggested. Warning: be careful
to explicitly turn off script running or similar in that directory,
since if someone can manage to use ftp to upload an executable file
(say, a .php file) to that dir and then visit it in the browser, they
own your machine...

sil

--
Penelope Pitstop: Ohhh, it's my arch enemy, the Hooded Claw!
The Hooded Claw: Who did you expect? Dick Dastardly?