[Wolves] Remote Power Management

Don Cockman don at hauraki.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 21:47:20 GMT 2006

Hi Adam,

I'm presently doing some work at a client with some Sun v20z (now
end-of-life, so you can't buy them from Sun anymore) and v40z servers
albeit running RHEL3 U5.

The service processors are very useful for remote management and
troubleshooting purposes (although for some strange reason, the client
seem to think that the SPs should hang off the main LAN rather than a
dedicated management LAN :-(  Makes for all sorts of fun when the main
LAN dies.

The main problem I've found with the Sun boxes running anything other
than Solaris is that the error reporting (system crashes, over
temperature alarms and the suchlike) is somewhat lacking compared to
what you'd expect from a Solaris based system. Most of the problems I've
come across have meant delving into the service processor logs and
calling Sun to get them to decipher them..

HTH

Don