[Wolves] old-ish laptop, no removeable devices

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 28 20:11:43 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 15:31, Stuart Beeson wrote:
> thanks for the reply - well it hasnt got a ethernet built into it - but i
> can download from the internet (using WIFI) so maybe i would be looking at
> downloading a Linux Image - the machine isnt at all fast - its only got
> 96MB Ram and Pentium 2 - 333

This is plenty fast enough for all but about 60 of the 18,000 apps
that ship with Debian GNU/Linux :-)
In fact OOo will still run with this (on top of PWM or similar), it just
won't be too snappy :-/

> - i just want rid of windows and want somthing
> more snazzy - becuase of the old BIOS on the Laptop it wont boot from
> network and it also wont boot from USB (tried)

How about you tell us which laptop it is, then there may be
someone on the list who has already installed GNU on one
and can pass on your experience (my eldest daughter has
a P333 96MB machine - an IBM TP570). Or, failing that, help
you find appropriate advice :)

> - isnt there a way i can do
> it by downloading an Image and doing it through DOS?

Yes - as a last resort. Let's try other ways first.

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                    richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant
http://m6-it.org/           ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''