[Wolves] Wireless network access

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Wed Oct 4 09:54:24 BST 2006

Leo,
This thread is in process, because I am slow at doing anything. Your
comments are interesting.

> My suggestion would be that you place one AP in each room, something
> like a Soekris machine with a mini-pci wireless card and loaded with
> something like M0n0wall on a read-only cf card will do the trick very
> nicely.
This is a useful idea, which I think I understand. Let me check.
1.  Are you saying that really any wireless card has the same wireless
bits as a conventional access point, and that if you use it
appropriately it it can be an access point?
2.  If you set up a number of access points, you can set them all on
different channels. That way, the receivers using the access points
simply pick up the strongest channel they can find.
3.   If this is the case, what is the advantage of using a number of PCs
rather than a number of different standard consumer AP's?
4.  Home-built antennae can help. Do you have any further info?

Thanks for you help.
Mark