[Wolves] RAID on 750mhz processor?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 14:19:39 BST 2006

On 07/10/06, leo sandhu <leosandhu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Slowly I seem to be inching my way towards retrieving at least some of my
> dads lost data.  Thus far I have 30gb of junk to sift through :(
>

> In an attempt to prevent a repeat occurance and also provide better access
> to data, I have convinced my dad that what he really needs is a fileserver
> that he can access when out and about..
>
> I am hoping to use an old pc we have just retired from service.  It has an
> Asus K7V motherboard and a K750mhz cpu with onboard RAID controller.   The
> plan is to go for basic mirroring and then set the server to use storage
> quotas and authentication.  Hopefully, the only problem will be that I have
> never configured RAID before.
>
> Will 750mhz be sufficient to handle a couple of 300gb drives, kernel 2.6, a
> thin debian install and still operate smoothly?
>    The few things I have read recently suggest that I could have problems
> with the read-write process being slowed by fragmented data if the cpu not
> sufficent.

You problem may actually lie in the onboard RAID.  I've had problems
with it on a Gigabyte board.  To the extent that I ended up having to
turn it off in the BIOS and losing the ability to run four separate
IDE/EIDE drives as master.

However, you may end up being lucky :-)
Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(R) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom