[Wolves] Cable modems and NTL

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 21:25:57 BST 2006

Baza wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2006, at 17:47, Darran Rimron wrote:
>
>> Alex Willmer wrote:
>>> If the NTL modem is half decent, it should provide both a USB and
>>> ethernet
>>> uplink. If so, you can plug a broadband router into it, which will
>>> allow
>>> multiple computers to connect at once.
>>>
>> NTL modems come with both USB and Ethernet (atleast the last 4 I've
>> had, on three different installations) and you can "Hot Change"
>> between the pair of them without reconfiguration to hardware or
>> poking NTL at all.... I link it into a Linux box doing NAT, but
>> anything doing NAT would work just fine.
You can get a box that does everything an ADSL (Wireless) Gateway does
minus the modem function so you can use it with a cable or ADSL modem.
Linksys make one. If you get the right version it may be possible to
re-FLASH it with FOSS router software.

Woo