[Wolves] Cable modems and NTL

Re-LoaD reload at brum2600.net
Mon Oct 9 08:42:02 BST 2006

All this talk of NTL and Telewest modems.........

They both use the same modems, UBR's and the same type of access network
architecture. A small difference is modulation type TW has the cleaner
network and can use a more modulation types, if these are deployed on
the NTL network with cleaning it up... ooops no network. The big
difference is the "new" company has/is cutting back on engineers and so
the network starts to suffer. Problems with SNR (signal to noise ratio)
and FEC (forward error correction) are the main focus, TW and NTL are
using different thresh holds to measure the SNR and FEC one value the
network looks ok and the other value the network is starting to look
shit, you can guess what's getting shown to the senior management.
As for modems going into meltdown it can happen to any bit of network
kit, from my own findings I have found that the older home networking
routers the netgears / linksys to name a few, that are first generation
just cant handle the background noise. They is just to many packets
flying around the internet and these little routers only have a small
amount of memory and available CPU so they fall over. The same can be
said for the early cable modems.
My advice is if your are a NTL/Telewest/Virgin mobile customer (yes all
are one) and have a time to waist on the phone... call in and report ALL
faults and keep on reporting them as repeat faults are getting flagged.
The more flags flying the more they have to do something.

I hope you find this info of some use.

--
Re-LoaD