[Wolves] LIST

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Fri Oct 13 21:58:26 BST 2006

Jono Bacon wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:
>> Alex's talk got me to look into logging my journeys.  I found out the
>> TomTom have a GPS logger addon that I installed on my PDA at the office
>> and used to log my journey home tonight.  gpsbabel converted the .pgl
>> file to .gpx and I would have had it upload by now if the OSM server had
>> not been down. Grrr.
>
> Could you write this up as a HOWTO somewhere? :)
>
> Which TomTom?
>
>  Jono

Micro HOWTO:

The program is "gps" can be found at
http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/gps.php
This is for the PocketPC only.  Basically it just dumps the data stream
from your GPS receiver into a file.

Installing the download requires Windows.  Connect the PocketPC and sync
then run the downloaded installer.

Once the program is installed onto the PDA, start it and select the
"GPS" tab.  This will allow you to configure the program to work with
your GPS receiver.  Un-tick the box in the top LH corner of the screen
and select the correct protocol/speed for you GPS device and the correct
device type then tick the box again to start receiving data.

The status tab will show the current position of the GPS device
(hopefully about the same as yours!) speed (if moving) and direction of
travel. It will also show the number of satellites and signal strengths
of each and their locations.

Using the "Log" tab, select a location to store the log file e.g.
\Storage Card\GPS Log\ and click the "REC" button at the start of your
journey.  Switch to the Status screen if you want to see your current
Lat./Lon. speed, etc. When you reach the end of your journey, switch
back to the "Log" tab and click stop.  The log of your journey will be
saved in a file with a name like "GPS20061012180742-2915.pgl"

Copy this file from your PDA to your computer and run the command
"gpsbabel -i nmea -f $infile -o gpx -F $outfile" substituting $infile
and $outfile as appropriate.  To make it easier I have put this into a
script called gpsconv:

#!/bin/sh
infile=$1
outfile=`basename $infile .pgl`.gpx
gpsbabel -i nmea -f $infile -o gpx -F $outfile

Upload the resultant .gpx file to OSM, view in qgis, whatever.

YMMV

- --
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk
N 52.567623, W 2.137621 Linux Counter No. 202120
FWD:519961