[Wolves] NTFS deleted file recovery

leo sandhu leosandhu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:59:56 BST 2006

Ok, sorry I realise that I have been rather too vague.

This is a loose recollection of my progress so far.

1. I removed the 40Gb NTFS Windows XP disk from service.  This would have
been more successful if my mother could understand that using the pc as a
CDplayer is the same as using the pc.....

2. Using a separate 80Gb disk I installed Knoppix to  ReiserFS partition

3. Using PhotRec, conveniently now part of Knoppix - hence my choice of OS,
salavaged data from NTFS to directory on ReiserFS

4. When using PhotoRec I had specified which file types I actually wanted.
MS Word, PwrPoint, PDF.
PhotoRec apparently recovered 36GB data from 40GB drive.

5. Filtered files based upon type and size.  Began trying to open files.
Realised 99% junk, trying to find the 1% broke my will to live.

6. Ron suggested " file *.* " would check headers and confirm true content.
It only confirmed that the files listed as being .doc were .doc.  For one
second, I do not believe it is giving correct output as some files are
listing as being 500Mb .docs .

7.  At this stage, I think PhotoRec has copied the entire content of the old
drive and allocated a file type to each of the files it handled.  These 3
file types were .doc .pdf . ppt.  It appears to have done this in such a way
that I need more sophistication than " file *.* " can provide...