[Wolves] Your new LUGMaster - Dave Morley

Jono Bacon jonobacon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 21:09:06 BST 2006

Hi all,

Well, I think the general opinion is that Dave Morley should be
LUGMaster, and if there are no objects I would like to pass over the
role to him. In all honesty, he would have been my first choice - he
has demonstrated the commitment and time far beyond what I can offer
right now.

Running the LUG has been a tough but rewarding process. I am not going
to claim in any way that I did a particularly good or bad job, but I
am proud that we even have a LUG in Wolverhampton today. A number of
people have stuck with us through the ride, and you have all made our
friendly LUG what it is today. I am proud of everyone for what they
have achieved.

To be honest, I think I could have done a better job with the LUG in
the past year, but as many of you know, my life has been rather
turbulant over the past year with a steadily more complex and
responsible career, and when you spend 10 hours working with the Linux
community every day, it can sometimes be a little difficult to muster
the energy to spend your evenings doing it. This was no reflection on
you guys, just that there is only so much energy in a person's body.
Sadly, I think I neglected the LUG through this period, and I
apologise for this. Its been a busy year, and it is only going to get
busier.

We have a great thing here, and although we don't all see eye to eye
all the time, I think we have the grounding of one of the best LUGs in
the country. Our meetings have been reknowned for being social and
loose, but often heavily technically focussed. We have had some strong
characters, and some even stronger beers, and we have carved out
something that has helped hundreds of Linux users in our neck of the
woods.

So, as I depart from my role as LUGMaster and hand the crock of shit (
:P ) over to Dave Morley, I hope we can continue to develop the LUG
and keep it running, and I hope Dave always maintains the spirit and
atmosphere of the LUG. I am by no means going to be leaving never to
be seen again, but as many of you know, I have sometimes had to miss
meetings due to work and family commitments. I will try to get along
as much as I can, but I know you will all be fine in the hands of our
new LUGMaster.

Good luck Dave. :)

  Jono