[Wolves] All happy for Dave Morley to be LUGMaster?

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Wed Oct 18 22:36:04 BST 2006

--- leo sandhu <leosandhu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I look
> to you to make some serious changes around here.
> Please, lets find a
> regular meeting place where the primary resource is
> focused on  proper talks
> and  people actually  being able to hear each other
> speak and see demos
> without the need to shout down the table.

We've had this debate before round here but the real
problem isn't the venue, its the "proper talks".

You are asking someone else, and I suspect from your
other comments you dont mean you (although if I'm
wrong here I apologise) to put in the time and effort
to come up with a subject, figure out what to say, put
together slides and then at the end of a days work
transport themselves plus any demo equipment they need
to the venue and then talk in a coherent and
informative fashion for 20 minutes plus questions.

Sure some people enjoy giving talks, and eventually I
will get round to writing and giving one myself, but
this is a lot of effort for people to put in.

And thats before you take into account the fact that
some of the people who could and would give talks
simply enjoy the chance to go out drink the odd beer,
eat, and chat about linux, life, and everything (I
cant think of anything else suitably alliterative :)
with their friends and without the pressure of doing a
formal presentation.

My (longwinded) point is that just because some people
want proper talks and demos doesn't mean a lugmaster,
even the Mighty Maaaaaaaarley, can produce them on
demand even assuming he wants to.

chris

(I'm tired so if this comes across as in any way
grouchy I apologise)