[Wolves] kernel suitable for multimedia?

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 19:42:00 BST 2006

Hi Ad

thanks for the explanation and pointers, I'll check them out.

I am going to try and use my spare removable hard drive to install Ubuntu and see how it works with the hardware I have.

Cheers

Mo

Cheers

Mo

Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote: -
Hmm... It gets murky in these waters. I don't think
that your kernel will be the cause of the problems
with the soft synth. I don't know what that problem
could be. Kernel issues related to sound are down to
the fact that most kernels have an audio latency
problems. This means that you record something and it
plays back a few milliseconds out of synch with what
you recorded along  to. Another problem is what are
called xruns and there are 2 types:

1) A buffer underrun happens during playback, when
your sound card tries to read data from the buffer,
but your software has not yet filled it.
2) A buffer overruns happens during recording, when
your sound card tries to write data to buffer, but
your software has not yet emptied it.

Neither of which are good news, they lead to gaps in
your audio.

The remedy for this is to build a kernel that contains
real-time pre-emption patches, which is non-trivial if
you've never done it before. However as I said, this
isn't likely to be your problem at this stage. I've
only just started dipping my toes into the water with
Linux audio recording and I don't know a great deal
yet.

However, a very good website is
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki despite being Ubuntu
specific, should help guide you in the right way and
looks like it explains sound fonts.

I can't help explain why some of your apps don't work
I'm afraid. Myabe launch them on the comand line and
see what kind of output they produce when you do what
won't work for you.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk