[Wolves] Meeting room

Jono Bacon jonobacon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:39:48 BST 2006

Heya Pete,

> Without getting into a spat with you just what is this 'Atmosphere' you speak
> of? I know I don't get to many meetings but most of the ones I have attended
> I think I've been able to get physically close enough to speak three
> sentences to you on four occasions over the last 3 years (except at Dave &
> Kats bash where we had a brilliant laugh).

What has the amount you have spoken to me got to do with atmosphere?
There is no particular reason why we have not spoken an awful lot at
meetings, its just that people can chatting to different people.

When I say 'atmosphere', I am referring to a loose, social and
friendly environment where people can chat. I am talking about a
middleground between a university lecture theater and a pub - a place
where we can keep to ourselves, but maybe has some background music
and some decent grub and drinks. Personally, I don't like sitting in a
formal environment at a LUG - I love getting to know people in a
social, relaxed environment.

> I don't understand this 'Pub' desperation as 97% bring carryouts from the
> local offlicense and I've never heard of a Pub that lets you bring your own
> booze! So how long before people start moaning because its costing them
> £15-£20  for food and drink?

Just because it is in a pub doesn't mean it is about alcohol or
drinks. It is the relaxed environment of a pub.

> With regards eating true some may have come strait from work but most of us
> have come from home so eat before you leave you don't HAVE to turn up a
> 7.30pm. We had new people turn up for odd meetings I wonder why they only
> came the once? maybe it was the 'Atmosphere'?

No disrespect Pete, but how do you know how often people come to the
LUG when you only show up rarely yourself? Sure, some people come
once, some people stick around, but I think this has less to do with
the location and environment of the LUG and more the people who go to
the LUG. It doesn't matter what format the LUG takes, but some people
will either love or hate it. Sure, some LUGs put talks on, and people
may only go for the talks, but speaking personally, I am not
interested in just making seminars where random people show up - the
LUG is about building communities of people who regularly meet on the
list and at meetings.

If the general concensus is to make the LUG more formal, lets do it,
but personally, I won't find it as much fun. I can talk to people
formally about Linux during the day and on mailing lists - what I
can't always get is a social, relaxed discussion face to face - that
is what the LUG gives me. This is just my personal view though, and
this is *our* LUG, so everyone feel free to weigh in.

Saying that though, it is the responsibility of everyone in the LUG to
share their views. It is not fair to say "well the current way sucks"
and not get involved in making it better. This is a community and
*everyone* has the right and responsibility to take part.

  Jono