[Wolves] Meeting room

ronan at footle.com ronan at footle.com
Mon Sep 4 18:24:39 BST 2006

Quoting Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk>:

> On Sunday 03 September 2006 23:15, Jono Bacon wrote:
>
>> When we met at the Pie Factory the atmosphere was great because it was
>> in a bustling pub that had some atmosphere but was not too busy. I
>> think we need to capture that.

> With regards eating true some may have come strait from work but most of us
> have come from home so eat before you leave you don't HAVE to turn up a
> 7.30pm. We had new people turn up for odd meetings I wonder why they only
> came the once? maybe it was the 'Atmosphere'?

Speaking as someone who 'only came the once' I'm going to cautiously
offer my opinion on the matter.

I enjoyed the meeting at 'Spice Avenue' because it was informal,
social, and there was beer on tap.  I *nearly* made it to the 'Pie
Factory' meeting (even drove past it on my way to finish other
errands) and intended to go on the expectation of more of the same.
The 'Atmosphere' was good for this one-time attendee.

I like pub-meets.  I like drinking real ale and talking about Linux
and Open Source and related political topics with people who
understand.  I'm used to a LUG meeting being primarily a platform for
social interaction, and any activities/projects that may result from
that.  I understand that not everyone feels the same way.

And finally, by way of alienating myself from those on the the list
who have been nodding approval up until now (anyone?), I'd like to add
'The Giffard Arms' to the list of possible 'quiet pubs' where a
meeting could take place.  They have coffin-shaped tables and a really
big pretend throne with spikes on.

Ronan