[Wolves] LAN instant messaging

daveh daveh at bvsc.org
Tue Sep 5 11:59:35 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 10:59 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:51:47AM +0100, daveh wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I need to set up a system whereby 3 computers on a LAN can send on
> > screen messages to a fourth computer. The four machines are on the same
> > LAN but are stand alone machines other than that.
> > Is there a way of doing this without having to install and configure a
> > jabber/irc server?
> >

> Is this messaging in the traditional Instant Messenger sense? People talking
> to eachother?
>
> Or is it some kind of computer-to-computer chat system that humans don't
> need to interact with?
>
> Either way, use an external IRC server if you don't want to set one up?
>
> You can easily register a private channel on most irc networks and keep it
> entirely to yourself. I have a private channel that I'm in with a dozen or
> so other like minded people and it has worked well for around 3 years now.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I'm putting together the IT system for a community radio station in Brum
(a completely Linux based setup) and they have a pc in the broadcast
studio and three pc's in the telephone room. The idea is that when they
are doing phone-in programs the people answering the phones can send
messages to the studio pc saying who's on which line and what they want
to talk about. I've sort of gone in circles with jabberd, hybrid-ircd
and unreal-irc, my knowledge of servers being very limited - I get
overwhelmed by the .conf files and end up not knowing why it's not
working.

regards

Dave H

http://www.star.net.uk