[Wolves] Meeting room

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Sep 5 13:44:16 BST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 12:30:41PM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> Hmmm, as one of those one time only attendees this is my view.  I
> found the one time I came along rather intimidating.  Not the banter
> etc, it's jsut that I've alwyas been that way in crowds of people that
> I don't know.

I felt the same way when I first attended a LUG meet. I don't think it's
unusual. It's one of the reasons that at HantsLUG meets we have a "greeter"
on the front desk who issues people with badges and introduces them to
someone who might be able to help them. We print out badges on the spot with
the logo of the persons distro of choice so they can easily find like-minded
people by looking at their badges.

I don't for one moment suspect that you guys would want to do this, but
there's certainly ways and means of making newbies to the meets feel
welcome, that's just one way we've found that works for us.

> I could be wrong but it's now up to the others who rarely attend a LUG
> meeting to speak up and state their personal reasons for not
> attending.

I live 2-odd hours away, it'd be over by the time I get there after work :)
I can see it now..

Wifey: "Where are you off to popey?"
popey: "Just going out for a curry"
Wifey: "What? At Abduls finest curry house round the corner?"
popey: "Er. No, Wolverhampton"
Wifey: <gets the handcuffs>*

*which she conveniently has to hand for these occasions.

> I'd also add that for me it's the fact that I do get tired
> very easily so I feel awkward after only an hour or so if I'm sitting
> yawning my head off.

Heh, people do that during my talks. Good job the camera points at me and
not the audience. You'd think I was talking in a mortuary sometimes :)

Cheers,
Al.