[Wolves] Freeview for a MythTV HTPC, AIGLX/XGL with Intel graphics chips

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:18:57 BST 2006

On 07/09/06, Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 01:39 +0100, Alex Willmer wrote:
>
> Now I understand a bit more I may as well jot something down.
>
> > If I wish to get 2 tuners, what's the simplest in terms of driver
> > fiddling a 2 PCI cars, a twin tuner card or 2 USB tuners?
>
> >From what I gather, 2 PCI cards is the most commonly chosen option -
> hence the best supported. There are 2 combination cards that caught my
> eye:
> 1. Terratec Cynergy 2400i, A PCI Express card for which there is
> currently no Linux support. Someone announced they would release a
> driver at IFA, an Italian electronics show, I've not heard an word so
> far.
> 2. Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500. A newly released, half height PCI card
> with 2 emebdded USB tuners and a PCI-USB bridge. A post to the linux-dvb
> list stated supported had been written, the author will post it once
> they've done some clean up.
>
> So if I go the combined route, drivers will at best be straight from
> head.
>
> > Additionally, I'd like to get the newest 3D desktop eye candy working on
> > it. I understand the simplest way is using an recent Intel chipset, for
> > which 3D open source drivers are included in the kernel.
> >
> > Does anyone know whether Intel 945 graphics chipsets are able to
> > accelerate Compiz, or is it only the 965 chipset that does it?
>
> The GMA950 accompanies the Intel 945 chipset, it accelarates XGL now.
> The GMA X3000 is a new GPU from Intel, it's their first ever to
> accelerate Transform & Lighting (T&L) - making it actually useful for
> some 3D gaming. In August Intel released the source code for the X3000
> source code.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

Whatever you do, don't get a Pinnacle card (I have digital 300i
myself).  Even the bundled drivers that come with it (Microsoft XP
only of course) do not work very well.  The Pinnacle cards are
notorious on the official Pinnacle forums for being rubbish unless you
are in a very good reception area.  I am led to believe that Hauppage
are possibly the best to go for.

Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(R) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom