[Wolves] New Linux User

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Sep 11 14:18:23 BST 2006

> I'm new to Linux and have joined this mailing list recently.  I'll probably
> need some support over the coming months because I've lost faith with the
> world's most popular operating system and have decided to go with Linux.  My
> distro of choice is ubuntu but I couldn't figure out how use gnome to
> install/configure my serial modem for dial up to the internet.  Maybe I
> should be doing something on the command line.  The modem should work
> because I've had it working on an older machine using Fedora Core.  Any
> clues?

You may find gnome-ppp useful
(http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-install-dialup-ppp-client-gnome-ppp).
It uses a backend bit of software called "wvdial", which is dead good
at finding and using your modem. Install it through Synaptic, if it's
not already installed.

sli

--
<Elleo> docs are for the weak!
<Elleo> you must divine the meaning of gnonlin through