[Wolves] Looking for some reassurance.

Constantin Orasan dinel_list at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 10:15:40 BST 2006

> I have an external hard disk that I'm going to use to keep a copy of my old
> files and folders, because it's formatted as FAT32 I intend to create a
> tar.zip archive of my entire home directory.  This should capture all the .*
> files and contents and preserve them?
>
> Once the new install is complete I don't intend to blanket uncompress all of
> the contents, I just want to make sure I haven't left anything behind.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach and should I be aware of any issues/pitfalls in
> trying this?
Make sure that the new user you create has the same ID number as the old
one. Depending what applications you use it might be a good idea to
select which "." directories you use by hand. For example, if you want
to use the data from your old gconf configuration, you should make sure
that gconfd is not running. Otherwise it is likely that the old data
will not be used.

Hope this helps,

Dinel