[Wolves] New Linux User

Broadfield Robert BroadfieldR at walsall.gov.uk
Tue Sep 12 11:08:02 BST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Langridge [mailto:sil at kryogenix.org]
(http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-install-dialup-ppp-client-gnome-ppp).
>It uses a backend bit of software called "wvdial", which is dead good at
finding and using your
>modem. Install it through Synaptic, if it's not already installed.

Thanks for the advice, Stuart. Thanks also to others on the list for the
warm welcome!  Turns out that ubuntu has a ppp client afterall at
   System -> Administration -> Networking  (couldn't see for looking!)

This works fine for now and I managed to connect to the net & download
e-mails/browse.  I may give gnome-ppp a try later on because it sounds a bit
more informative/user-friendly.

Thanks also for the invite to your next meeting - can't come along this
time, however (helping a  friend celebrate her birthday).  Maybe next time.
;-)

Probably best I don't post again from work so I signed up again last night
from home (now I'm back online) as the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk

See you soon