[Wolves] Aq this might interest you

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Sep 15 10:57:19 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 09:10 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> On 9/14/06, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah so you meant to just have a bunch of apps online.  But in that case
> > why not go the whole way and just have a live cd or flash drive that
> > just gives you the browser window,  the only difference I can see is
> > that you get a pretty back drop to select your online apps from
> > instead of a white one.
>
> Because you're wasting all the power of your computer, and because if
> you have it all run inside one browser window and Firefox crashes,
> your whole desktop goes away. That's why I suggested that each app
> would run in its own window (and its own process, being technical).

Of course most browsers don't actually run separate windows as separate
processes unless you explicitly do so. If you open a "new" Firefox
browser window it's part of the existing Firefox process. The default
behaviour of IE is similar. It opens links in new windows which belong
to the already running iexplore.exe. This behaviour can be changed in IE
under the advanced settings dialog, but in Firefox I think you're kinda
stuck with it. Although I've never actually tried to run multiple
instances of Firefox.

Cheers,
Al.