[Wolves] System Backup

rob the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 23:35:59 BST 2006

It's been rather quiet on the list so far, so I thought I'd use the
opportunity to ask some questions.

I'm happy with my basic setup at the moment, so before monkeying around with
it and installing new packages I thought it best that I take a backup of it.

I'm guessing that I need to create a new partition (I only have one HDD on
this computer) and copy an image onto that.  The HDD is plenty big enough
(18Gb).  Before starting, would I have to perform the Linux equivalent of a
Windows defrag?

I have Norton Ghost and a live knoppix CD.  I'm guessing that Norton Ghost
uses a different filesystem to Linux so it's best to use knoppix.  Am I
right?

So presumably the procedure would be:

Boot to live knoppix CD
Unmount hda (if necessary)