[Wolves] Sick of M$

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Wed Aug 1 16:25:01 BST 2007

A few technical points:

1: The "Small Claims Court" isn't actually a separate court, it's a
different process used within the County Court to process certain
(small!) claims quickly.

2: The courts will virtually never award the costs of
rectification/chasing if processed through the Small Claims Track.

3: It is worth downloading the form N1 from the link below, filling it
in, and attaching a copy to your "letter to the company you want to sue."

- http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1_0102.pdf

This shows the company that you are serious, and costs nothing.

You DO have to pay if you actually file the claim with the court, so
what I suggest is that you fill out the form, with a letter that reads
along the lines of:

"Dear <Name of Senior Manager>

I am writing to you asking for £<sum claimed> in settlement of our
dispute over <Outline of issue>.

If you would prefer to settle this matter amicably, please could you let
me have a cheque for the full sum in 7 days.

If I have not received this payment by <date 7 days from now> then I
will lodge a claim under the Small Claims Track in <local court>. For
your convenience, I have included a copy of the claim I intend to lodge.

Regards,

<Your Name>"

I should stress that I am NOT a lawyer. My knowledge of this comes from
some work I do as a mentor to landlords in landlord / tenant disputes.
My mentees have reported that the above tends to work quite well in
disputes with people like letting agents :-)

Regards,

Mark