[Wolves] Ubuntu/Kubuntu update problem

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 12:41:24 GMT 2007

I know at least one other person has come across the Ubuntu/Kubuntu
bug that states the system has an upgrade when it doesn't :-(

What happens is that it (I use Synaptic) usually give me a little
message stating that there is a system 'upgrade' available.  I ok that
and accept it.  It starts to do its stuff but then drops out saying it
cannot perform the upgrade and that everything is to up to date.  Ok,
no harm done really other than wasted time.  It does get annoying when
it keeps happening though.  I did file a bug report as have many
others :-)  I've not seen a fix given out by Ubuntu but this has been
sent to me as a possible remedy.  Hopefully it will work and I share
it here in case it does:

Directly after installing and before updating with adept or anything
else, you should open Konsole (in Kmenu>System>Konsole). First issue
`apt-get update` and after that `apt-get upgrade`. When upgrading is
completed, the update notification icon in the system tray will
disappear and your system is completely up-to-date. You may wish to
reboot, as the update contains new versions of some restricted drivers
for wireless and the kind. The reason that this bug does not appear in
LinuxMint, is because it has implemented the bug fix in the
install-cd, whereas Kubuntu needs to be updated for the fix to be
applied.

As I say, I haven't tried it yet myself (hopefully this afternoon) but
it can't hurt to try it :-)