[Wolves] G OS & Linux Mint

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Dec 5 14:11:13 GMT 2007

Hi All

So I've had a *Very* quick look at;
G OS (http://www.thinkgos.com)
Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com)

I intend to do a write up review as soon as possible but I thought I'd
share some initial thoughts with the great un-washed 1st ;-)

G OS
Looks nice, looks fun, What's the point? I mean its just desktop short
cuts after all and if you ain't got an Internet connection well you're
stuffed, sort of.

I liked the embedded search panel, at first, until I realised each
search produced its own Window! surely there should be an option to
reuse the current window or at least be asked if you wanted to open
the results in a new window.

Linux Mint
I have to say I like it, dick_turpin ducks to avoid the stale buns
being hurled by the Ubuntu clan with shouts of "See, we said we was
right" I like the colour scheme even though black is not my favourite
colour but the desktop looks very slick and at least its not pooh
colour although you do get a very quick flash of brown when the
desktop start (weird?).
The 'Mint updater' is pretty cool with its numbered ratings. The
*Slab* menu is the best I've seen and is how one should work e.g. the
slab extension is a scroll bar.

I don't have anything to physically install Mint on at the moment but
I will do at the weekend some members have installed/run Linux Mint
and possibly G OS so I'm looking for some thoughts and comments which
I'll have a look at, verify and or maybe yell "Liar liar bums on fire"

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.