[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Dec 12 10:10:54 GMT 2007

Hi All

*The Jack attack*

I've never listened to this so cant comment; it's on my ToDo list.

*Linux Link Tech Show*

I've already made some comments about this show however I've just
finished listening to the latest one, what a bunch of whining big
girl's blouses they spend the first 5 – 10 minutes blubbing in the mic
about how misunderstood they are and that their show is 2 hours long,
TWO HOURS of my life mate! They must be just lazy all they have to do
is edit out the silences the excuse given was "We are waiting for
other people to make a comment" you might be but why do we have to
wait when it's a recording? Then I heard one of the presenters make a
comment that nearly made me chuck my ipod out the window "They just
don't like Americans" what a crock of …..

*Linux Outlaws*

It's a fairly good light hearted show the article gets it pretty right
and they do seem to get better each release plus they've read out some
of my emails to them so they get my vote ;-)

*LugRadio*

What can I say about our own boys? Groan, they are the best (so far) I
have had people on other forums, groups and channels (all over the
world) say that the show is a bit lad'ish and sometimes immature. I'd
like to hear Jono electrocuted at least four times in one of the shows
but other than that on the whole I have to say it's my favourite even
though they don't read out my mails.

*Open Season*

I've never listened to this so cant comment; it's on my ToDo list.

*Linux Action Show*

It's not all that bad, I personally don't like the over zealous
approach but then again they are Americans and it's what they do best.
They spend the latest episode begging for money which I thought was a
bit 'off' but I do enjoy the sniping at LugRadio even if they are
talking out there bum.

*My Thoughts*

Over all most of the podcast are pretty good if you don't mind
trudging through their particular quirks, ones meat is another mans
poison and all that. Interviews are probably the best especially when
the guest is asked intelligent questions.

I'll own up and admit that I like the silly stuff on LugRadio like
"Hype or Shite" and the electrocutions (I have a warped sense of
humour anyway) I disagree with Linux Format that a Linux Podcast
should be about Linux only, hearing what people have been up to since
the last episode helps you get to know the presenter a little better
and going slightly 'off topic' can be productive as well, "Never heard
of brain storming then?" podcast are a good way of keeping in the loop
with what's going on I'm lucky in having an ipod so I can listen to
them pretty much anywhere in the car, walking down the road or sat on
the bog. If you haven't listened to one yet get downloading.

P.S. I use iTunes on an XP box to manage mine :-P

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.