[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Dec 12 11:49:12 GMT 2007

On 12/12/2007, Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:30 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > > You don't want to listen to music on it though, use one of these
> > > boxes [2] :-)
> > >
> > >  - Richard
> > >
> > > [1] Given a working sound card, of course ;)
> > > [2] http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ronwill/plinth_301.html
> > >

> > I wonder if anybody has tried a mix of 5 ply and 7 ply to create one
> > these?  7 ply to start with then a sheet of industrial rubber about
> > 3mm thick followed by a layer of 5 ply then 2 more of 7 ply.  5 ply is
> > generally slightly more flexible so it would allow the rubber to do
> > its job and take out any slight vibrations from either the floor or
> > the deck itself.
>
> Have a search under "idler wheel" and CLD (constrained layer damping)
> - I think there may be nothing not already tried ;-)
> Rubber has been used, but may not be the best choice [1]. I've
> thought about a lead layer between two ply layers, though some
> do not rate this much.
>
> Of course many people just use good quality Welsh slate, as it
> already has all of the properties of many combinations, but it's
> too hard to cut, and the pre-cut blocks for my turntable (Goldring
> Lenco) don't support the arm combination I want.
>
> Now try steering this thread back to LXF, I challenge you ;)
>
>  - Richard
>
> [1] http://wduk.worldomain.net/slatedeck2.html

Guys please don't hijack the thread and go way off topic too.

Thanks

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.