[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

Zeth Green theology at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:11:25 GMT 2007

On 12/12/2007, Adam Sweet <adam at adamsweet.org> wrote:
> Fuck. I knew I was overdue an upgrade and was putting it off until I had
> an hour or 2 to spare. That hour or 2 will have to be now followed by
> checking the rest of the stuff :(

In two hours you could also migrate from Wordpress to something else.
I used Wordpress for a couple of years and there was nothing really
wrong with it. However, I found that when I switched away from it, my
attempted spam went from several thousand a week to zero.

Wordpress's askismet plugin does a pretty good job separating the
lambs from the goats, but it seems that Wordpress is slightly a victim
of its own success as the spammers seem to be targeting it
specifically. Software monocultures are never a great idea, just look
at Windows.

After Wordpress I moved to Pyblosxom (
http://pyblosxom.sourceforge.net/ ) which required a tiny bit of SQL
tom-foolery to get the posts and comments out of Wordpress but it was
not too bad. Pyblosxom is nice because I just write a post in Gedit or
Emacs and hit save then I am done.

However, by now I have added fiddled with the Python code so much that
there is not that much Pyblosxom left, it's role is basically just to
generate the RSS and Atom feeds. I am thinking of reimplementing the
scripts in Django, however there are lots of ready-made Django blogs
available.

Just a thought anyway.

Best Wishes,
Zeth