[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Wed Dec 12 14:17:54 GMT 2007

Zeth Green wrote:
> After Wordpress I moved to Pyblosxom (
> http://pyblosxom.sourceforge.net/ ) which required a tiny bit of SQL
> tom-foolery to get the posts and comments out of Wordpress but it was
> not too bad. Pyblosxom is nice because I just write a post in Gedit or
> Emacs and hit save then I am done.

Pyblosxom isn't good if you've got a lot of posts, though. I
specifically migrated away from it and to Wordpress because I was
starting to hit the limits of what can be done with a flat-file
"database" in reasonable time. My argument for Wordpress is precisely
that because lots of people use it there are lots of people working on
making sure it supports stuff properly; with lesser-used engines there
are fewer people working on that sort of thing. Pyblosxom is a case in
point here; it didn't have brilliant Unicode support, there wasn't
anyone working on that, and I didn't have the time (or, frankly, the
inclination) to dive in and sort that myself. There are a load of
problems that a weblogging engine needs to solve that I personally don't
want to have to fix myself -- properly handling escaping, upgrading from
one version to the next without dumping and reloading the database,
OpenID logins, caching heavily-hit posts, emailing me when there are new
comments, spam-trapping, handling trackbacks, simple re-theming. Of
course, all these things might not be important to you, or they might be
fixed in your engine, and that's fine -- I trust the WP team to stay on
top of this sort of thing so I don't have to, which isn't necessarily
the case for smaller teams. Not to try and push you in the direction of
WP, naturally; just the other side of the story.

sil