[Wolves] Wifi, Ubuntu, Sick as a Parrot

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Dec 13 12:58:05 GMT 2007

Hi All (Just a rant + give you all a laugh)

So I upgraded my Draytek Vigour 2600 router to a nice 2800 VG
wireless, so far I've spent 4 hours screaming at the laptop "Connect
you fecking thing!" Wifi-Radar sees it, so does
(K)network-wifi-manager-whatever-its-called.

Wifi-Radar says "Got IP 165.xxx.254.xxx" which is some totally useless
address should be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx

(K)network-yadder-yadder is a complete waste of time too

ArchLinux wiki followed to the letter 'forget it' no joy either I'm
99.9% convinced wpa_supplicant is installed will be checking tonight.

So just for a giggle I stuck the latest Ubuntu live cd in and booted,
saw the network icon and clicked on it, saw my wifi listed, chose the
radio button next to it, whizzy little icon bugger me it connected
properly with instant (100% strength) wifi internet access

I hate Ubuntu, mutter mutter swear swear curse curse.

1. what's Ubuntu use?
2. Would it be possible to copy some config file?
3. No I'm not switching to Ubuntu
4. Its not practical to run the live CD every time I want to use the Wifi
5. I cant think of any other smart comment people are likely to come
back with. :-)

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.