[Wolves] Wifi, Ubuntu, Sick as a Parrot

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 14:14:00 GMT 2007

--- ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin
<dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:

> So just for a giggle I stuck the latest Ubuntu live
> cd in and booted,
> saw the network icon and clicked on it, saw my wifi
> listed, chose the
> radio button next to it, whizzy little icon bugger
> me it connected
> properly with instant (100% strength) wifi internet
> access
>
> I hate Ubuntu, mutter mutter swear swear curse
> curse.
>
> 1. what's Ubuntu use?
> 2. Would it be possible to copy some config file?
> 3. No I'm not switching to Ubuntu
> 4. Its not practical to run the live CD every time I
> want to use the Wifi
> 5. I cant think of any other smart comment people
> are likely to come
> back with. :-)

I know Dave has already said this, but it might not
have been obvious without the capitalisation. Ubuntu
uses Network Manager. You can't just copy the config I
don't think as I believe there are other changes
required to support this kind of 'click and change at
will' type of networking, such as scripts to restart
the network then do a DHCP release and request
everytime the network changes. These may well come
with NM, but I don't know for sure. Of course you
could just try to install Network Manager on your
'Notbuntu' distro and see what happens. If it
irretrievably breaks your whole world, which it may,
then you get to keep both pieces (tm). I personally
wouldn't take the risk without knowing what to expect
on a machine I rely upon.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/