[Wolves] Wifi, Ubuntu, Sick as a Parrot

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Dec 13 14:33:24 GMT 2007

On 13/12/2007, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know Dave has already said this, but it might not
> have been obvious without the capitalisation. Ubuntu
> uses Network Manager. You can't just copy the config I
> don't think as I believe there are other changes
> required to support this kind of 'click and change at
> will' type of networking, such as scripts to restart
> the network then do a DHCP release and request
> everytime the network changes. These may well come
> with NM, but I don't know for sure. Of course you
> could just try to install Network Manager on your
> 'Notbuntu' distro and see what happens. If it
> irretrievably breaks your whole world, which it may,
> then you get to keep both pieces (tm). I personally
> wouldn't take the risk without knowing what to expect
> on a machine I rely upon.

Yeah pretty much what I was thinking I don't fancy borking my beloved
Arch seeing as I've broken numerous fingers had four heart transplants
and sweated 82 pints of blood nurturing it to its beautiful state.

I wasn't planning to overwrite anything anyway I was hoping for some
sort of comparison between two config files so that maybe I could see
what was missing or in the wrong place on mine.

Having said all of that it might be really simple, ready? I've put the
passphrase in in capitals and it should be lower case, Oops

But what I don't understand is why I don't just get kicked out "Could
not determine an IP address" instead it gives some random numbered IP
range and reports it is connected which its not.

Oh how we laughed when he banged his head off the mantle piece! hang
on! this is where I came in! what 5 years ago? trying to do NFS
remember? feck me 5 years on and still having problems :-D

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.