[Wolves] Help - crashed hard disk. Phew!!

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Wed Dec 19 14:33:36 GMT 2007

Thanks, all, for your company and support over this.

I did contact Vogon, whose recovery service costs £75 for initial
inspection plus £500 to £800 for data recovery on the drive. I also,
Dave, found ddrescue at the command line.

But the drive in the end responded to the fanheater trick, which I have
used once before. Heated the drive up to hot, about 55 degrees C, and
patiently retried using it as it cooled down. No doubt it felt it was
being treated kindly, because it started giving fewer and fewer errors
when chkdsk was being run until it became readable. I even managed to
clone it and have a copy now working back in the machine.

Phew indeed!!!

Merry Christmas,

Mark